Saturday, February 8, 2014

Information

I have been asked a few things and wanted to let everyone hear the answers.
 
I send all puppies home with part of a towel from their pen with scent on it. You are more than welcome to mail/bring a towel or blanket of your choice and I will put it in their pen to get scent on it.  I recommend filling a water bottle with warm water and wrapping the towel around it for sleeping with the first couple of nights. The water bottle/towel will act as a litter mate. 
 
I send home each pup with a bag of their current food, Costco's Kirkland puppy chow, yellow bag.  You can either keep them on this same food or slowly switch to you food of choice.  I like the kirland puppy chow as it is smaller in size and easier for the pups to eat. As they get older I would recommend Kirkland's Natures Domain no grain feed.  Costco sells a 35 lb bag for around $33.  This feed is good for all ages so the pups can be switched as soon as you feel comfortable with them eating a little bigger pieces. 
 
You are more than welcome to send/bring a colar for your pup.  I will warn you that the other pups love to chew on colars and your pup will not come home to you with a new looking colar. The plus side is that the pups get used to the colar earlier and they aren't so "itchy" when they come home.
 
I will give the first set of shots and wormer.  Your puppy will need vaccinated at 8, 12 and 16 weeks.  After the initial 3 sets of shots you will need to give an annual immunization.  Your puppy can be vaccinated at 3 months for rabies, this has to be done by a licensed vet.  Our local farm store has a low cost clinic, yours might as well.  1 year after the first rabies vaccination your puppy with need another, after that the rabies vaccination is every 3 years.  PLEASE be very cautious with taking your new puppy out and about.  I know it is very exciting and people love to show off their new adorable addition.  Parvo and life threatening disease and can live in the ground for years. Parvo is highly contagious and is passed through faeces.  The puppies are not fully protected until after all 3 vaccinations have been given.  I haven't had any of my pups get sick but I have heard stories. 
I worm at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks.  I recommend repeating at 12 and 16 weeks of age. I purchase wormer from our local farm store that is liquid and I give it to the pups with one of my kids medicine syringes.
 
Each pup will go home with a packet that includes a vaccination record folder, AKC limited registration paperwork. $30 basic fee to register your puppy but AKC offers different packages if you would like to purchase.  I send home lineage information on both mom and dad as well as a picture of the parents to keep in your files.
 
I am planning on making a trip to Portland on March 1st to deliver 7 puppies!  If this date does not work for you please let me know.  I thought it would be nice to save the 7 families a drive to Redmond. I am planning on being over there around noon depending on weather and I am thinking I might stager our meetings a little so its not so overwhelming and I can meet and spend a little time with each family.
 
That is all I can think of right now.  Please call, text or email with any questions you may have.
 
Enjoy the snow everyone and stay safe!
Meghan
 
That is all I can think of for now. 
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call/text or email me. 

1 comment: