Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Some information

Hi Families!  As we get closer to puppy delivery date and as I have more time, SCHOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER!!! :) I will be updating the blog with information about vaccinations, what to expect to receive with your puppy and some hopefully helpful tips.

I was asked today by a Portland area family about the date we will be taking the puppies for delivery.  We have 4 Portland area families.  Every family is welcome to come pick up their puppy on the 6th of July, local or out of town, or after depending on your schedule.  My husband is having a medical procedure done on the 6th so our Portland delivery date has been moved to Saturday the 9th of July.  Right now we are thinking about someplace near the airport as we will be heading into Washington to pick up my husband's mother.

The puppies have seen our vet one time and when you take them home I will have wormed them at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks of age and they will have received their first set of 3 (4 weeks apart) vaccinations (after that its an annual vaccination).  Depending on your area your vet may advise additional/less vaccines. Newly registered  AKC dogs receive a certificate for a complimentary veterinary office visit through the AKC Veterinary Network Certificate Program.  I will give you the paperwork to register your puppy if you choose.  The fee is a minimum $30 but they have additional options you can choose if you wish. You can register you pup online or by mail.

I have always (taught by mom) vaccinated my own animals.  It has saved me a trip to the vet and the fees.  At our local farm store I can pick up the vaccinations for approximately $12, where at my vet they charge a $45 visit fee plus the cost of the vaccination.  My dogs have never acted like they feel the shot and I always have treats on hand.  Most people feel much more comfortable visiting the vet than doing their own vaccinations and that is great, I just thought I would advise of a way to save money. The rabies vaccination is the only one that is required to be administered by a veterinarian. This is normally done around 12 weeks, again 1 year later and then every 3 years after that.  Our local farm store offers a program once a month where you can take your dog into a licensed vet and have the vaccinations done.  Our farm store offers both annual and rabies vaccinations and a quick check of your dog.  The cost is significantly less that the vets office.  I would however suggest that you find a vet and establish a relationship with them for times that your puppy may get sick, hurt or you have questions.  I feel comfortable taking care of a lot of the things with our animals but I am also so thankful that we have found a great local veterinary office to take our pets to if need be or call with any questions, they are always happy to help.

There are no silly questions and I am happy to help any way I can.  You can text/call or email me questions and I will reply with the information I have.  I will also update the blog with that information as other families may find it useful.

I will be posting soon the weight and height of the parents as that is another question I have received.

Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment